Friday, February 15, 2013

Love Your People

My darling daughter came to me this week with a problem.  First of all, when you are almost 6 years old, you really shouldn't have any problems.  You shouldn't be confused about a situation or wondering about it.  It shouldn't take two days to decide to ask your parents. 

Let me be the first to say that I am a Mama Bear.  You can say what you like about me but get involved with my people and you will see my true colors.  I discussed my dilemna with my friend in hopes that she would talk me down off the ledge.  She has been witness to my Mama Bear in action.  As it turns out, she started to cry as she is a Mama Bear too. 

After being really upset, I channeled my energy into my role at Musical Hearts at my daughter's Valentine party yesterday.  As it turns out, being a mom with the prize bucket is a lot of fun!  I also got to do a few projects for the teacher during the movie finale.  It was a good morning all in all. 

I was not really looking forward to it as I have not been feeling spectacular.  I wheeze most of the time and have been having trouble getting sleep.  My friend has been sleeping with oxygen so I tried that to no avail.  The oxygen machine is really loud.  The fatigue is worse than normal which is really annoying as your life doesn't always just stand still.

I made the executive decision to go to another Valentine party in the afternoon despite my uncooperative lungs.  I have to say it was the right decision.  A few weeks ago, my uncle told me he was playing music at my grandparents' assisted living center.  I made a note and even called the Director to verify the time.  When my aunt point blank asked me if I was going to visit while she was out of town,  I failed to give her any details as she tells her Mama everything.  I even tried to recruit my cousin to meet me there so there would be a few more dancers.

When my daughter and I arrived a few mintues late, the staff met me at the door.  They took our coats and whisked us behind the wall that blocks the front door from the party room.  When my uncle spotted us and waved us in, my Grandma stood up and clapped her hands in delight.  One of the staff members pointed my Grandpa out in the back of the room and the fact that he had tears in his eyes.  By the time the chair dancing and singing was done, they broke out the cookies which made my daughter a little more brave in a sea of new faces.

A darling lady at our table was asking about school and how old my daughter was now.  She asked her again about two minutes later.  My daughter said, "You already asked me that" in her most kind but speculative voice.  The lady said, "I did?  I forget a lot.  Tell me again."  By the end of our visit, my daughter could be found at dinner in her undershirt eating my Grandpa's macaroni and my Grandma's chicken.  She looked perfectly natural riding my Grandpa's walker down to dinner.

On our way home, we stopped to play a game of Bingo with her other Grandpa and have a cold Diet Coke in a can.  My daughter was adament about playing Bingo to the point that Grandpa bought her a card.  Yes, we are starting a little young.

So, what's the lesson here?  Love your people.  There are only so many people in your life who will clap in delight when you enter the room.  Spend more time with those people.  On my way home, my Grandpa tried to pay me for the cookies I brought to him.  I asked him, "Grandpa, how many cookies do you think you bought me in my life?"  My point exactly.

Blessings,

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment