Thursday, February 9, 2012

Sad Days

At the diabetes doctor, I learned about a new study which further explains my probelm. She said the study shows that when your blood sugar is higher than 144, it helps the bacteria in your lungs grow. She basically described it as candy for the germs. So, we are going to do a lot more checking of blood sugars and take a look at the long acting insulin dose as well as add in some fast acting insulin before meals. It means a lot more finger pokes and insulin shots which is fine when your fingers toughen up.

On another note, the PFTs didn't turn out as well as I hoped. They were lower than last week but not quite as low as the time before that so we had a choice. The office paged my doctor and he said we could either start the new antibiotic and the count for at least three weeks or take a few days off the whole routine and check again next week. Since I am feeling pretty good, we decided to give it a few days. So, I did the last IV last night and am going to just maintain my line until we make a decision about next steps.

On the way home, my mom called with that sad news that my cousin's baby had passed away unexpectedly. He was just over three months old. So, some of the things planned for this week got shuffled so we can help out my cousin and his wife who live close to us. This is a great example of living close to your support system. A number of friends have agreed to help cook over the coming weeks so they have dinner. I think food and prayer are two of the best ways to help people when you just really don't know what else to do. I know Grant's family appreciates it very much.

Blessings,

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment