Monday, October 10, 2011

Choose Calories

Every so often, it hits you when you aren't ready. I was sitting at my kitchen table opening the mail last week. My daughter was sitting next to me making "cookies" out of play dough. In my mail, I had a copy of the most recent newsletter from Help One Love One, an organization that supports patients with CF with gift certificates for groceries. I know first hand the power of a few calories so I try to support them when my budget cooperates with me. In this particular letter, they were sharing the loss of a CF patient who had been getting some support over the past two years. He was 28 years old. Help One Love One is based in rural Minnesota and Max got care at the same clinic that I visit often.

Life expectanccy is not a really fun topic. When I was younger, I thought the average life expectancy for a patient with CF was far enough away. I noticed that the statistic is no longer on the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation website. I doubt they took it down just for me. In 2000, the average life expectancy for a patient with cystic fibrosis was 32. In 2008, the average was up to 37.4. Each year, my mom is very good about looking at my birthday as a modern day miracle. I, on the other hand, tend to hold my breath and hope we slide through another one without notice.

So, this week, I am busy trying to choose calories. My routine is back on track for the most part and I think almost no one is reading this blog so I can freely tell you what I really think. I called last week in hopes of joining an upcoming clinical trial. I was told that they are taking two patients at my clinic. I guess I shouldn't put all my hopes in the magic drug basket.

Blessings,

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment