Friday, June 17, 2011

Doctor Day

We had a fun day if you take out today's PFTs. My weight is right on the magic number. Of course, it is always better to be above the magic number. The PFTs just don't cooperate very well. Today was the big decision about whether to stop the IVs. Of course, the PFTs went down for no apparent reason making the decision about what to do with me anything but obvious. One choice was to go on a 24 hour pump where the IVs would just go all the time. The thought is to keep the level of the drug more consistent in your body and give the germs less of a chance to fight. The other thought is to take what we can get and stop for a week to see what happens. Of course, either way, the count would start over if the week trial doesn't turn out as we hope.

The other factor is that I only have a single lumen per my optimistic request. In order for a 24 hour pump and another IV, I would need a double lumen. This would mean two lines coming out of my arm. A very kind soul tried to tell me that we could just thread a double over the existing single line. It starts in my arm and goes up my vein to my chest. Well, the options aren't really great.

In the end, I left the U and headed for the car show with my daughter and her grandpa. It was a nice distraction searching for all the pink cars. After the doctor I saw today consulted with my regular doctor, it was decided to wait a week and see what happens. So, I have three IVs left and then I plan to sleep in! Please do not call me on Sunday morning even if you can not find your frying pan (you know who you are). My daughter was a little confused about seeing a different doctor today. She wanted to know if my doctor was visiting his Grandma.

Blessings,

Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment