Thursday, June 23, 2011

Snapshot

When my daughter first came home, I tried to find another CF mom rather than figuring it all out myself. I figured someone must have already figured out how to manage CF or not be managed by it and still have time to be a mom. It is fair to say that I have high standards for motherhood. I had convinced my husband about becoming a father and then waited another 11 months to turn 30 (the magic age for adoptive mothers in China) before the three year wait for my daughter started. I had plenty of time to make plans for us. I did eventually meet a few other moms who also have CF but not until I had figured out things like the fact that we could watch Sesame Street and do a treatment at the same time. Earlier this week, we had a typical day that gives you a snapshot into our "normal."

So, this is the magic week of sleep which includes sleeping in as much as possible. We were sleeping when our friend called to see if we were still planning to go to crafts at the library. After doing the first treatment of the day and getting ready, we were at the library. The line was huge to get in for crafts so we got our books first and had a few minutes for crafts before we had to leave. We were due at gymnastics. I had promised that my daughter's friend would be in her class since we signed up together for the same time. Of course, the class was split and they were not together. After a trip to Target and lunch at the cafe, we were back home again to sneak in another treatment and put away our groceries. Then, it was time for a playdate and a church meeting. After dropping my daughter off for a little bit, I tried to wrap up my volunteer committment with little luck. Next, it was off to the dance open house to pick up our recital CD and register for next year. The line was out the door before it started! After picking up my daughter from her playdate, we went home to grab some snacks and line up our gear for our T-ball debut. My husband is the coach so we waited for his arrival and raced to the field. Well, that is when the rain came. The kids were all really darling trying to play ball with rain dripping off their little noses. After picking up some Chinese, we were home again to eat and do the final treatment of the day before we started over the next day.

While sitting under my umbrella watching t-ball, a rainbow appeared. When I lifted my umbrella a little, I realized that it was a full rainbow that went all the way across the sky. I think it is a reminder to slow down enough to enjoy what you are doing. I don't mind taking my daughter to her activities but I want to eliminate the rush and take our time. We should be at cooking class right now but she is still sleeping and I am not going to wake her up today.

1 comment:

  1. Well you just wore me out just reading that, I think I'll sleep well tonight! PJ days are good, especially when it's cold and rainy, embrace them

    ReplyDelete